Beginning October 1, 2021, you will need a REAL ID, Enhanced License or valid passport to board a domestic flight.

Which option is right for you?

Your standard New York State license or ID card will not allow you to fly starting October 1, 2021. All driver licenses, permits, and ID cards will remain acceptable for domestic flights and for access to federal facilities until October 1, 2021. Both the new REAL ID document and the already available New York Enhanced Driver License (EDL) will be accepted for federal REAL ID purposes.

To ensure customers have all the documents they need for your visit, the NYS DMV has created an interactive document guide that will walk you through which documents you are required to bring. The website provides an option to print the list for your convenience.

Is a Real ID mandatory?

A REAL ID is optional and is not needed for the following:

  • A licensed driver
  • Voting or registering to vote
  • Entering Federal facilities that do not require a person to present identification
  • Applying for or receiving Federal benefits 
  • Accessing health or life-preserving services, law enforcement, or constitutionally protected activities
  • Participating in law enforcement proceedings or investigations
Real Id

What is the cost of a REAL ID?

The cost to get a REAL ID is the same as getting a standard New York State license or non-driver ID. If processed at renewal or first issuance, there is no additional cost to obtain a REAL ID.

If you want to apply for an Enhanced Driver License or Enhanced ID Card, there is an additional $30 fee. If you decide you do not want a REAL ID or Enhanced document, please be advised that any license, permit or ID card issued after October 30, 2017, will be marked “Not for Federal Purposes”.

New Rules for REAL ID (effective October 1, 2021)

Documentation Type

Enhanced (EDL)




Boarding a plane, entry into Federal Building or Military Base

U.S. Border Crossing

What About Children Under 18?

TSA does not currently require children under 18 years old to provide identification when traveling with a companion within the United States. The companion will need acceptable identification.

However, specific airlines may request proof of the child's age, such as a birth certificate, passport, passport card or state-issued identification, but this is NOT regulated by TSA. Contact the specific airline for more information. Please visit for more information.

Roadside Assistance Truck