10 tips and tricks to make the most of Volcano Bay
10 tips and tricks to make the most of Volcano Bay
Universal Orlando's Volcano Bay, their 3rd theme park, features over 30 experiences to enjoy both thrills and relaxation in the type of incredible environment we've come to expect and love from Universal Orlando. Since the park is still pretty new, we'd like to share these 10 insider tips from Amy Walsh at Universal, to make sure you have an amazing time.
- Stay on-site for easy access. There are five on-site hotels to choose from and when you stay at one of those you'll be in the center of everything Universal Orlando Resort offers. Guests of Cabana Bay Beach Resort can walk right to the front of the park. Guests of the other four hotels - Loews Sapphire Falls Resort, Loews Royal Pacific Resort, Hard Rock Hotel and Loews Portofino Bay Hotel -- can board a complimentary shuttle to Volcano Bay.
Hint: If you have a Volcano Side room at Cabana Bay, you'll have an incredible view of the mighty volcano Krakatau.
- On-site guests get early park admission. Guests of the on-site properties get exclusive access to Volcano Bay one hour before the park opens to other guests. This is invaluable, the earlier you arrive, the faster you start enjoying what the park has to offer. Plus you can claim a prime spot for the day based on what attraction you want to be closest to. What do you like best -- Puka Uli Lagoon? TeAwa The Fearless River? The Dancing Dragons Boat Bar? Take your pick!
Hint: To beat the crowds, the best time of day to visit is early in the morning or later in the evening. These are usually the least crowded times of day and you won't need to worry about afternoon thunderstorms.
- Head towards the back. Don't be fooled into grabbing the first chairs and lockers, or visiting the first attractions that you see. That's what people not-in-the-know do! Head to the back of the park when you first arrive and pick your home base back there. Attractions near the back usually have shorter wait times in the beginning of the day.
Hint: As you head towards the back to claim your spot, tap to save your ride times at one of the attractions along the way. That way once you've grabbed your chair and slathered yourself in sunscreen, it'll be time for your ride!
- No soggy wallets. It's not required, but if you choose TapTu pay you can easily purchase merchandise, food and drinks with your TapuTapu wearable. That way you don't need to carry your wallet around with you.
Hint: Multiple TapuTapus can be linked to the same account and you can set spending limits for the whole party.
- Items for rent at Volcano Bay. If you have a large party with a lot of stuff, there are 3 different sizes of lockers available throughout the entire park to store your belongings. You can also rent a beach towel if you've forgotten yours.
Hint: You can link up to four TapuTapus to your locker so everyone can access it when they need to get more sunscreen!
- Things to do while waiting in virtual line. While you're waiting for your ride time, why not: Hint: Volcano Bay is an island paradise -- remind yourself that this is your time to relax and leave everyday stress behind.
- Ride the waves in the Waturi Beach wave pool
- TapuTu Play all throughout the park - water features everywhere
- Relax on a tube in the Kopiko Wai Winding River or brave the waves of TeAwa the Fearless River
- Enjoy lunch or a snack
- Go down the slides or enjoy the water effects in Runnamukka Reef and Tot Tiki Reef
- Cool off in The Reef or Puka Uli Lagoon Leisure Pools
- Check out the gift shops for a fun souvenir to take home
- If you're 21 and up, try a Volcano Bay signature drink and enjoy the awesome view from the two boat bars - Dancing Dragons and Kunuku
- "Ride now" doesn't mean "RIDE NOW!!!!" When TapuTapu lets you know your ride time has arrived, it doesn't mean you have to drop everything and run for the ride. You can finish your lunch, cruise one more time around Kopiko Wai, or apply another layer of sunscreen before heading off to enjoy the attraction.
Hint: But you do need to ride that attraction before you can tap into another one. The other choice is to replace the ride you're already waiting for with another one by tapping in and making the switch.
- Keep a look out for "Ride Now" While you can use TapuTapu to virtually wait in line for one attraction at a time, keep your eyes open for slides that say "Ride Now". You can jump right into that line without waiting and without getting out of your virtual line.
Hint: More attractions will show "Ride Now" if you arrive early in the morning or stay later and closer to closing time.
- Eat early or later. The restaurants are busiest between noon and 2:00 pm. Plan your meals and snacks around the outside of those peak hours.
Hint: One of the best food finds is at The Feasting Frog. look for the frog-shaped hut in the Rainforest Village.
- Ride out the rain. Summer weather in Florida includes daily afternoon rainstorms. But don't pack it in when you see clouds gathering -- these storms usually pass quickly. Take cover for a drink, something to eat, or browse the gift shop for souvenirs.
Hint: It's a water park -- rain won't make you any wetter than you'll get on a water slide!
Use these tips to make the most of your visit to Volcano Bay. If you don't have a trip to Universal Orlando Resort planned, well...why don't you??? Contact a AAA Travel Consultant to start planning. Get your sunscreen and your sense of adventure ready.