Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
The National Cherry Blossom Festival in March and April is one of the best times to visit D.C. Here are some tips to help you plan your trip.
If you're driving:
- Create and print your own TripTik®
- Order your Maps & TourBook®online
- Pick up your TripTiks, TourBooks & Maps at your local AAA
Tip for Travelers
Remember that the city is divided in quadrants, so wherever you're going in Washington, D.C., you will need to include not only the street but the quadrant location as well.
What to Do
Old Town Trolley Tours
10th and E Sts. NW
The Washington, D.C. Welcome Center is the central location for Old Town Trolley Tours, where you can travel on three loops, hopping on and off all day long. On the Orange Loop, which takes you to the National Mall and downtown, look for the cherry blossoms along the Tidal Basin at the Jefferson and Roosevelt Memorials.
511 10th St. NW
Take the tour of Ford's Theatre, the site of Lincoln's assassination. Free same-day tickets include admission to the Petersen house across the street, where the President actually died. Or, you can purchase tickets in advance for a small convenience charge.
- The National Mall has multiple museums and is a must see.
- Make the Smithsonian Castle your first stop, where you can see the special diorama of the Mall. You probably won't have time to visit all the museums, so pick up a map from the information desk and ask any questions about suggestions for your special interests.
Where to Eat
425 12th St. NW
Two blocks east of the White House, and just about a block away from the Welcome Center, is Ollie's Trolley, where you can enjoy an excellent seasoned burger and fries, sprinkled with Ollie's famous blend of 26 herbs and spices.
Old Post Office Pavilion
Pennsylvania Avenue and 12th St. NW
If you're looking for variety for your group, travel one block south of the Welcome Center to the Old Post Office Pavilion. You'll find an eclectic mix of shopping and quick-service dining in this building dating back to 1899. After lunch, ride the elevator to the top of the tower for a spectacular view of the city.
- If you are with a group, Carmine’s family-style Italian restaurant is the best! Talk to the wait-staff about the many choices and size of the portions.
- If you’re thinking about the more traditional steak for dinner, try Smith & Wollensky, well known for its excellent meals. Both of these restaurants are downtown and easy to find.
Where to Stay
900 10th St. NW
One of my personal favorites is the Embassy Suites near the Convention Center, a perfect family accommodation and a convenient walk to the Welcome Center.
923 16th St. NW
Enjoy an aura of opulence at this 1926 historic hotel, a AAA Four Diamond property just north of the White House. Ask for the AAA package rate.
AAA can help you find a hotel, save money and make your reservations.
- Call us at (800) 836-2582
- Search and book online for less
Join Us on This Trip
Horizon Club Tours is offering a motorcoach trip to Washington, D.C., during the National Cherry Blossom festival, with round-trip transportation from Buffalo, Rochester or Syracuse.
Related Blog Post
Brenda Keith, a AAA Tour Director, is certified by the International Tour Management Institute. She is a licensed tour guide for Washington, D.C.