Are we there yet? Keeping kids safe when you're on the road
Keeping kids safe when you’re traveling requires knowledge and planning. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Use child car seats designed for your child’s height and weight.
- Disable window and door controls within your child’s reach.
- Have an adult passenger or older child keep kids calm and entertained, so they don’t distract the driver.
- Teach kids to put “hands on noses” when closing car doors to prevent slamming little fingers.
- Attach ID cards to kids’ clothes in case they become separated from you at rest stops. Include their names and your name, cell phone, license plate number, destination and home address.